How Does Insurance Cover Urgent Care?
Urgent care is typically used in a non-life threatening situation during hours that a regular doctor’s visit isn’t accessible. These situations can be especially stressful, so let us help you narrow down your search.
You can use our website to find the nearest urgent care facility to you. On top of that, we will explain the most important question, “does urgent care take insurance?”
Urgent Care vs. Emergency Room
An urgent care facility, while typically used in rushed situations, is different from an emergency room. If you feel like your health concern is a life or death issue, you definitely need to proceed to the ER.
However, if it’s a holiday, weekend, or after hours and your health concern is not life-threatening, an urgent care facility is probably going to be your best bet and the most affordable option.
If you’re unsure which to go to, you can reference this more detailed article, or call the urgent care facility to ask. They will be more than happy to give you direction on the best solution. Just make sure to use our website to find the nearest facility, then you’ll be able to see their contact information.
Pros & Cons of Urgent Care
- Pro: Less costly than an ER visit, typically between $50 – $150
- Pro: Less stressful of an environment; you’re not going to see very serious patients here like you could at an ER
- Pro: Usually there are more urgent care facilities in a city than emergency rooms
- Pro: Most have different hours than a normal doctor’s office, allowing for easier access when accidents happen
- Con: Less staff, so possibly a longer wait in the waiting room
- Con: Less equipment, meaning if the injury or illness is very severe or requires further testing, you might be referred elsewhere
Pros & Cons of an Emergency Room
- Pro: Usually has more equipment for in-depth procedures and testing
- Pro: Open 24 hours
- Con: Sometimes over-crowded
- Con: If during a natural disaster or large incident, wait times could be drastically prolonged
- Con: Costly; can range upwards of $3,000 without any emergency transport or surgeries
It is important to note that in either instance, the specifics depend on your insurance plan and provider, and the facility you are visiting.
If you go to an urgent care facility or ER without insurance, the cost will be 100% out-of-pocket and some places require that to be paid before leaving.
Let’s get down to the important question.
Does Urgent Care Take Insurance?
Yes, most urgent care facilities will take insurance. Keep in mind that there are several other factors that could play a role.
First, it depends on the insurance provider you have. Most insurance providers will cover the cost of urgent care via a co-payment or deductible. In certain cases though, you might have to pay an additional fee.
For instance, if you have an accident and think you might have a broken finger, the urgent care will probably send you for an x-ray to verify. The cost of the office visit will likely be covered, but the cost of the x-ray will be charged separately and could potentially be an out-of-pocket expense.
Medicaid or Medicare follows the same guidelines. Most facilities accept these insurance providers unless under extenuating circumstances.
The specific urgent care facility might only accept certain insurance providers. Some facilities will have a website that will show what providers they accept, so sometimes it might be a good idea to do a quick search for a provider near you.
Luckily, our database is teeming with information on urgent care facilities, and a search on our website will definitely find you a quick option. There’s no need to stress about finding one anymore!
When to Use Us
You may be asking yourself, “but when would I need to search using your website”? While there are many different reasons to use us, we can give you some examples that might pertain to you.
- You’ve moved to a new city, country, or state and don’t know anyone to ask
- Stressful situations like injury or illness can cause you to not think straight; let us do the thinking for you
- You have a family member or friend visiting you over a holiday, but someone gets hurt. Nowhere else is open but it’s not severe enough to warrant the cost of an ER visit
- It’s date night but the babysitter calls saying your child has a 101-degree fever. You quickly search for an urgent care close that you can rush to
These, of course, are just some examples. You can use us anywhere at any time to get you the medical help you’re looking for. That’s what’s so great about our website!
Find an Urgent Care Near You
Ultimately, you will need to make a decision on whether you want to go to an urgent care facility or an ER. Don’t wait in agony while your Google search is spinning for results. We take the guesswork out of it!
Use our website around the clock to easily access help nearby. We want to assist in providing help when you and your family need it the most. We hope you’ll use us to find urgent care (dentists included) nearest to you.
Health insurance is expensive, but paying out-of-pocket is even more expensive. Don’t waste your hard earned cash on an ER visit, let us help you. Now you don’t have to ask yourself, “does urgent care take insurance?” in the middle of your holiday meal.
Using us will cut down on the uncertainty of where you’ll need to go during those precious first few moments. We want to provide you with the quick answers you need to get help much faster!
If you’re an urgent care facility, please reach out to us. We’d love to add you to our ever-growing list to provide assistance to those in your communities.